Dublin Historical Landmarks
Historical Landmarks in Dublin
Dublin is a city full of history. The city was first constructed by the Vikings in 988 and since then the city has had a colourful history which Dubliner’s are extremely proud of. In this thread we list off some of Dublin’s most significant landmarks that shaped the history of our fair city.
Like all castles Dublin Castle was founded with the purpose of defending the city from invaders in 1204 after the Viking invasion of Ireland in 1169. The castle was the centre of British rule in Ireland until Ireland became a free state in 1922. The castle played a central role in many of Ireland’s rebellions from the 18th to the 20th century including Easter 1916 where a small band of rebels led by Sean Connolly attempted to take the castle. Today the castle serves as a tourist attraction as well as still being used for state functions.
The General Post Office
One of Dublin’s most famous historic buildings is without doubt the GPO. Opened on Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street) in 1818 the building is most known for being the headquarters of the rebels during Easter week in 1916. Many of the rebellions most leaders including Connolly, Plunkett, Clarke and Pearse as well as a lesser known at the time Michael Collins, took position in the GPO. Padraic Pearse read out the Proclamation of the Irish Republic from the steps of the building on Easter Monday 1916. The GPO was left in ruins after the rising and wasn’t repaired until the declaration of the Free State after the War of Independence.
Christchurch Cathedral was founded originally by the Vikings around 1028. Christchurch is one of the last pieces of evidence of Viking Dublin. The cathedral is located in in the Wood Quay area of the city where Viking Dublin was most prominent. The cathedral was converted to Protestantism in 1539 during the English reformation like many other churches and cathedrals in Ireland, the religion which it remains to this day. Nowadays artefacts from Viking Dublin and Medieval times can be found in the cathedral.
The Four Courts
The Four Courts were opened in 1802 as Ireland’s main court buildings which it still is today. The courts have seen some of Irelands most notorious criminals pass through its doors as well as being the scene of many Irish rebellions. The Four Courts were taken by Commandant Ned Daly during the Easter Rising in 1916 and was one of the last garrisons to surrender from Easter Week and actually became the central command for the Irish volunteers The Four Courts were once again the scene of fierce fighting during The Civil War when anti treaty IRA forces stormed the building and a fight broke out between themselves and pro treaty forces.
The Mansion House
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
The Custom House
The Customs House was opened in 1791. Its original function was to collect tax from ships entering Ireland with goods but this later changed as the port moved down the river. The building is most famous for the part it played in the war of independence. The IRA attempted to take the building in an assault similar to that seen in Easter 1916. The assault was failure though with many IRA volunteers captured or killed. The Customs House was also destroyed in the fierce fighting and was not rebuilt until Ireland became a Free State.
Kilmainham Gaol was opened in 1796 and housed anyone who was anyone in the world of Irish politics from Charles Stewart Parnell to the leaders of the 1916 rising. The gaols inhabitants varied from common thieves to the most ruthless murderers. The Gaol is most famous for the swing in public opinion it caused after its most famous event, the execution of the leaders of the Easter Rising. Before the rising people did not agree with the cause of the rebels until after the executions which paved the way for the war of independence and a rise in support for Irish independence.